Wednesday, May 25, 2011

OMGM!

Thank you so so so much for your sweet responses to my last post! I really appreciate them J
I’ve got a LOT of recent eats to share today so be ready for tons of pictures and some unsponsored reviews of products I’ve tried!
First, I’ve had my first ever GREEN MONSTER! In case you’re not sure what that is, it’s a smoothie that has some sort of greens mixed in, like spinach or kale. I’ve had two three so far this week and I’m hooked (that’s where the title of the post comes in btw, it means Oh My Green Monster). Even though I like veggies, I find that sometimes it’s hard to get enough in one day without chomping on salads or carrot sticks all day long. I’m also more of a fan of fresh veggies (I can’t stand most cooked ones, except sweet potatoes of course) so that makes it hard too. Until I discovered that mixing in fresh baby spinach with a fruit smoothie doesn’t make it taste any different but adds in a serving of veggies! My first two weren't green but tonight I hit the jackpot: 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 chopped up fresh peach and a handful of baby spinach. It was a perfect spring green and delicious!
Mmmmm...green!


Lately, I’ve been noticing millet bread popping up on some food blogs. Some people said it tastes like pound cake so I knew I HAD to try it. I haven’t had pound cake in years (fear food) but I like the taste. I picked up a loaf at Whole Foods last weekend and I was surprised that it was in the freezer section, but I guess it’ll last longer. I had a slice the other day for breakfast topped with crunchy AB and dried raspberries (YUM!) with a spicy veggie sausage patty on the side and a bowl of dark chocolate raspberry overnight oats. I loved the oats, but I wasn’t gaga about the millet bread. The slice was small but dense, but I couldn’t detect any sweetness in the bread, it definitely seemed more savory to me. Not a bad thing, but I was expecting a sweet bread perfect for breakfast. I’ll just have to eat the rest alongside a salad or soup at lunchtime.
I wish it tasted like pound cake...
Call me crazy, but I’d never had a fresh peach or apricot prior to a week ago! My dad picked some up from the store, and I fell in love. Sorry berries, I still love you guys too, but apricots are the bomb dot com!
I made dinner for my family on Monday night. I haven’t done that in a while and I missed doing that. My favorite way to cook during the summer is using the grill, so I picked out a few yummy recipes and I got to grilling. I made grilled mahi mahi (my favorite type of fish) topped with a strawberry pico de gallo with strawberry melon gazpacho on the side (check out my recipe page for the recipes). And I made strawberry lemonade popsicles for dessert. It was my first time making popsicles from scratch and it was super easy and they turned out great. I made sure to get some organic lemonade concentrate from Whole Foods because I don’t do the whole HFCS thing.

Gazpacho before blending

I loved this dinner, so summery!
Other than that, my week has been pretty chill, I’ve just been waiting impatiently patiently for the sun to finally come out and filling out job apps. I hope to be able to spend a lot of time outside this weekend and have a relaxing Memorial Day weekend with my family and a possible shopping trip! Enjoy the rest of your week, everyone!
Sorry about the background!
Q’s: Have you ever made a Green Monster? Best new food you’ve tried recently?

5 comments:

  1. All your food looks good! I love mahi-mahi and that fruit salsa sounds really refreshing.

    I've never tried a green monster, but I do love smoothies in general. One of my recent "discoveries" is any kind of non-dairy milk. I love cow's milk, but different kinds are fun for a change!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO WNAT TRY MILLET BREAD!! oh its not sweet?ahah i wud totally expect that too!!!
    love ur eats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy food! :)

    I've been experimenting with a lot of "cold" soups latley. It basically means what it says. Ha ha ha. I made a chilled tomato soup with red pepper. It was so good!

    I am the same way, I hate non-fresh vegetables like canned veggies. Ew. It must be fresh otherwise I'd not eat it. Steamfresh veggies are really good--the broccoli and corn ones. Others are so-so.

    This is why I LOOOOOOOOOOVE summer.....farmer's markets and fresh vegetables! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a green smoothie!
    As soon as I get home I'm buying a blender, though, and making one for sure!
    Your meal looks yummy! I bet your family really enjoyed it :)
    Sorry I haven't commented in a while, Ash :/ no internet..
    Missed you!
    Hope all is well :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love millet- brings me back to elementary school. We used to make it all the time for snack (I went to Waldorf School)
    I love green smoothies- I just got spinach finally so they'll be more green lately. Best thing I've tried lately....probably all my new nut butters!
    so sad the millet bread didn't taste like pound cake- but did it at least taste GOOD?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the post ;)