Sunday, January 16, 2011

Stepping out of My Shadow

If you haven't read My Story yet, I'll fill you in on the basics. I am an 18-year-old girl who started college in the fall of 2010 and I have anorexia. I was "diagnosed" with it in March of 2009 and have been slowly recovering ever since. My weight has fluctuated a bit, but remains steady around 90 lbs (I am 5'1). At my lowest point, I was a 16-year-old, lost and confused, weighing 76 lbs and restricting my calories to about 700-800 per day. I was constantly cold, tired and hungry. But I still felt fat and unloved, despite my close relationship with my family. I felt cut off from the world, but my ED made me feel stronger...or so I thought.
I have dealt with a nutritionist, therapist and a pediatrician and I've come out of the experience ready to make peace with myself and my body. I still struggle with eating disordered thoughts, I am somewhat orthorexic (I try to only eat healthy, low-fat things) and of course, I still don't like my body most days. But everyday, I keep pushing up the long hill towards recovery. I don't want to slip back down again. I'm ready to step out of the shadow that I was and let my life shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the post ;)