Monday, January 31, 2011

Recipe Day: Mahi Banh Mi Sandwich

Hey everyone! I hope you’ve all had a very wonderful weekend. I know I did—that’s why I haven’t posted in a few days.
I’m back with a recipe I made for my family over the weekend when I went home. I really love cooking, but I don’t get to do it much when I’m at school, so I enjoy any opportunity I get to whip up something yummy in the kitchen! On Saturday, I made Asian fish sandwiches, called Mahi Mahi Banh Mi. They’re a type of Vietnamese sandwich and they’re super-delicious, not to mention very healthy. It’s got a lot of fresh veggies, which I love, and grilled white fish which is high in protein. I admit that I do tend to stick with recipes that are lower in fat and include whole grains and such, which may be part of my ED-thinking, but it is much healthier to eat lean meats and veggies and fruit, which are all things I love.
Start out by preheating the grill to medium. If you don’t have a grill, this can work on a skillet, but it might make your house smell like fish J
Make sure your mahi mahi filets (2 for this recipe, but add in as many as you need and adjust the other ingredients) are thawed completely (if you bought them frozen), and spray a grill basket or pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set the fish aside.
Meanwhile, chop up some green onions and cilantro. Wash and thinly slice a carrot and a cucumber, so they end up in thin ribbons. Mix all the veggies together, or separate into different bowls and set aside.
Now put the fish in the grill basket or directly on the grill and cook for 10-20 minutes, flipping halfway through. The fish should get some grill marks and end up firm and opaque.
Inside, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut small ciabatta rolls in half lengthwise or cut a baguette down the middle and lengthwise and place bread pieces facing upwards on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 2-6 minutes, until fragrant and slightly browned.
Meanwhile, mix peanut sauce (I used Archer Farms Thai Peanut Sauce from Target) and spicy red sriracha sauce in a small bowl; make sure not to use too much of the spicy stuff, or omit it altogether if you don’t like spicy things.
Once the fish is done cooking, let it cool slightly, then place it on one half of the bread and cover it with the veggies and the sauce. Enjoy with a fresh fruit salad, a nice green salad or baked oven fries.
I got this recipe from the Food Network and adapted it a little bit. My family really loved this sandwich! If you’re not such a big fan of fish, you can definitely substitute grilled chicken. And feel free to add in any other veggies you’d like!

Picture of Mahi Mahi Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwiches) Recipe
Photo courtesy of Food Network.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the post ;)